Wonderland is a text adventure game originally developed by Magnetic Scrolls, ported to the Nintendo DS, as one of the Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series.
The Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series contains a range of text and graphic classic adventure games and interactive fictions ported to NDS created in the 80's for old computer like the TRS-80, ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Atari 8 bits or 16 bits machines like the Atari ST or the Amiga.
The collection was ported to the NDS by papafuji, divided into 3 categories (see complete list):
- Classic Graphic Adventures.
- Magnetic Scrolls Adventures.
- Classic Text Adventures.
This homebrew was under the category of Magnetic Scrolls Adventure, which contains 7 graphic adventures developed by Magnetic Scrolls between 1985 and 1990 with the original Amiga bitmap graphics.
Note: This version does not include graphics.
Download and extract file.
DLDI patch .nds file (since version 1.5) and copy it to the root directory of the card.
List of Classic Adventures
|Classic Graphic Adventures||Magnetic Scrolls Adventures||Classic Text Adventures|
|Pyramid of Doom||Fish!||Mysterious Adventures|
|Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle||Jinxter|
|The Golden Baton||Myth|
|The Time Machine||The Guild of Thieves|
|Emerald Isle||The Pawn|
|The Saga of Erik The Viking||Wonderland|
|The Jewels of Darkness Trilogy|
|The Silicon Dreams Trilogy|
|The Time & Magik Trilogy|
All games from the Classic Adventure series have the same interface (stories on the top screen and text inputs on the bottom sreen), and can be played exactly the same way.
Wonderland is a based on Lewis Carroll's classic children's book Alice in Wonderland, where you take on the role of Alice:
Step into the bizarre logic of Lewis Carroll’s spellbinding imagination. Attend the Mad Hatter’s absurd tea party. Meet the caterpillar perched upon his mushrooms, puffing away on his hookah. Drop in on the duchess (is that a baby or a piglet she is holding?) and her temperamental cook. You, as Alice, face a plethora of puzzles, puns and conundrums. Like how to assist the royal gardeners in painting the roses red before the Queen of Hearts arrives to inspect them. Challenges to perplex and enchant you for hundreds of hours.
- There are two ways to type words with the stylus of your Nintendo DS.
- By default, you can directly draw the letters on the screen, according to the PA-Grafiti alphabet.
- Second way is to use the mini keyboard or the numerical keyboard.
- To avoid typing always the same things, the most used orders can be called via the icons.
- Each icon has two or three states, for example:
- The hand means GET, DROP and GIVE.
- The N button means GO NORTH and GO UP.
- Just pick an icon twice or more to select the good order.
- A sentence in these games is defined by a verb + a noun, such as OPEN DOOR, GO NORTH, etc.
- Some sentences can have only one word, e.g. INVENTORY (to see what you're carrying) or SCORE (to see your score).
- Each game has its own vocabulary, but a lot a verbs are common to all the games.
- In many cases, you don't have to write the entire word, only the first letters are necessary. For example:
- G HELM is esquivalent to GET HELMET.
- CLIM DRAWB is equivalent to CLIMB DRAWBRIDGE.
|List of the most common words|
|N S E W||GO NORTH, GO SOUTH, GO EAST and GO WEST.|
|NE NW SE SW||NORTH-EAST, NORTH-WEST, etc (Level9 and Frotz games).|
|X||EXAMINE (in classic games), EXITS (in Level 9 games).|
|G||GET (or AGAIN for Inform/Frotz games).|
- Draw a slash / in the middle of the word, the game engine will try to complete it with the latest words that have been printed on the screen.
- You can draw this slash until you find the good word to continue. Example:
You are in the kitchen, you see a can wooden bench, a bottle of wine, and a cute babe... >CLIMB ON B - draw a slash here completes to: >CLIMB ON BABE - draw another slash here completes to: >CLIMB ON BOTTLE - draw another slash here completes to: >CLIMB ON BENCH - that's fine.
X - Swap keyboard and grafiti input modes
Y/A - YES, Valid (v1.2 and +)
B - NO, Erase text (v1.2 and +)
L/R - Change image size (Level 9 and Magnetic games only)
Start/Select - Save, Restore, Pause, Exit the game
Wonderland - Atari ST (1990) (Wasabim)
Author - Magnetic Scrolls
1st release - 1990
Game engine - Magnetic v2.2
- Author's website - http://gugusse.central.free.fr/papafuji/adventures.html