The Golden Baton
|The Golden Baton|
The Golden Baton is a text and graphic classic adventure game/interactive fiction from the Brian Howarth's Mysterious Adventure #1, ported to the Nintendo DS, as part of the Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series.
The Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series contains a range of text and graphic classic adventure games and interactive fictions ported to NDS created in the 80's for old computer like the TRS-80, ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Atari 8 bits or 16 bits machines like the Atari ST or the Amiga.
The collection was ported to the NDS by papafuji, divided into 3 categories (see complete list):
- Classic Graphic Adventures.
- Magnetic Scrolls Adventures.
- Classic Text Adventures.
This homebrew is under the category of Classic Graphic Adventures, which you can find Level 9's adventures as well as Scott Adams and Brian Howarth adventures, with Atari 8 bits graphics or brand new NDS illustrations.
List of Classic Adventures
|Classic Graphic Adventures||Magnetic Scrolls Adventures||Classic Text Adventures|
|Pyramid of Doom||Fish!||Mysterious Adventures|
|Sorcerer of Claymorgue Castle||Jinxter|
|The Golden Baton||Myth|
|The Time Machine||The Guild of Thieves|
|Emerald Isle||The Pawn|
|The Saga of Erik The Viking||Wonderland|
|The Jewels of Darkness Trilogy|
|The Silicon Dreams Trilogy|
|The Time & Magik Trilogy|
All games from the Classic Adventure series have the same interface (stories on the top screen and text inputs on the bottom screen), and can be played exactly the same way.
Your mission is to recover the Golden Baton, a priceless artefact that holds within it a kind of life force that maintains the equilibrium between good and evil. Stolen from the Palace of King Ferrenuil, the kingdom is already beginning to feel the effects of drought and pestilence.
Walkthrough can be found here.
- There are two ways to type words with the stylus of your Nintendo DS.
- By default, you can directly draw the letters on the screen, according to the PA-Grafiti alphabet.
- Second way is to use the mini keyboard or the numerical keyboard.
- To avoid typing always the same things, the most used orders can be called via the icons.
- Each icon has two or three states, for example:
- The hand means GET, DROP and GIVE.
- The N button means GO NORTH and GO UP.
- Just pick an icon twice or more to select the good order.
- A sentence in these games is defined by a verb + a noun, such as OPEN DOOR, GO NORTH, etc.
- Some sentences can have only one word, e.g. INVENTORY (to see what you're carrying) or SCORE (to see your score).
- Each game has its own vocabulary, but a lot a verbs are common to all the games.
- In many cases, you don't have to write the entire word, only the first letters are necessary. For example:
- G HELM is esquivalent to GET HELMET.
- CLIM DRAWB is equivalent to CLIMB DRAWBRIDGE.
|List of the most common words|
|N S E W||GO NORTH, GO SOUTH, GO EAST and GO WEST.|
|NE NW SE SW||NORTH-EAST, NORTH-WEST, etc (Level9 and Frotz games).|
|X||EXAMINE (in classic games), EXITS (in Level 9 games).|
|G||GET (or AGAIN for Inform/Frotz games).|
X - Swap keyboard and grafiti input modes
Y/A - YES
B - NO
L/R - Change image size (Level 9 and Magnetic games only)
Start/Select - Save, Restore, Pause, Exit the game
Author - Brian Howarth
Editor - Digital Fantasia
1st release - 1983
Game engine - Scottfree
- Author's website - http://gugusse.central.free.fr/papafuji/adventures.html