The Saga of Erik The Viking
From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
|The Saga of Erik The Viking|
The Saga of Erik The Viking is a text and graphic classic adventure game/interactive fiction written by Austin brothers, ported to the Nintendo DS, as part of the Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series.
The Nintendo DS Classic Adventures series contains a range of text and graphic classic adventure games and interactive fictions ported to NDS created in the 80's for old computer like the TRS-80, ZX Spectrum, Acorn Electron, Commodore 64, Atari 8 bits or 16 bits machines like the Atari ST or the Amiga.
This homebrew is under the category of Classic Graphic Adventures, which you can find Level 9's adventures as well as Scott Adams and Brian Howarth adventures, with Atari 8 bits graphics or brand new NDS illustrations.
A visually dramatic adventure with 150+ different pictures, based on the award-winning book by Monty Python star Terry Jones... Travel as Erik the Viking, in search of the evil Dogfighters. Explore authentic Viking settlements and seek help from Wizards, Dragons and Giants in strange lands.
Walkthrough can be found here.
- There are two ways to type words with the stylus of your Nintendo DS.
- By default, you can directly draw the letters on the screen, according to the PA-Grafiti alphabet.
- Second way is to use the mini keyboard or the numerical keyboard.
- To avoid typing always the same things, the most used orders can be called via the icons.
- Each icon has two or three states, for example:
- The hand means GET, DROP and GIVE.
- The N button means GO NORTH and GO UP.
- Just pick an icon twice or more to select the good order.
- A sentence in these games is defined by a verb + a noun, such as OPEN DOOR, GO NORTH, etc.
- Some sentences can have only one word, e.g. INVENTORY (to see what you're carrying) or SCORE (to see your score).
- Each game has its own vocabulary, but a lot a verbs are common to all the games.
- In many cases, you don't have to write the entire word, only the first letters are necessary. For example:
- G HELM is esquivalent to GET HELMET.
- CLIM DRAWB is equivalent to CLIMB DRAWBRIDGE.
List of the most common words:
GO - ENTER - CLIMB - SWIM - HELP LOOK - EXAMINE - GET - DROP THROW - CAST - WEAR - REMOVE OPEN - CLOSE - LOCK - UNLOCK BREAK - CUT - CHOP - SAY - KILL
N S E W - Equivalent to GO NORTH, GO SOUTH, GO EAST and GO WEST. NE NW SE SW - In Level9 and Frotz games, this letters are equivalent to NORTH-EAST, NORTH-WEST, etc. H - HELP. I - INVENTORY. X - EXAMINE (in classic games), EXITS (in Level 9 games). G - GET (or AGAIN for Inform/Frotz games). L - LOOK. SV - SAVE. LD - LOAD. R - RESTORE.
X - Swap keyboard and grafiti input modes
Y/A - YES
B - NO
L/R - Change image size (Level 9 and Magnetic games only)
Start/Select - Save, Restore, Pause, Exit the game
Author - Austin brothers
Editor - Level 9 Computing
1st release - 1985
Game engine - Level9