From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
Dicewars DS is a multiplayer version of a strategy glash game Dicewars for the Nintendo DS handheld console.
It was submitted for the NEO Summer Coding Compo 2007.
Copy the dicewars.nds (and optionally dicewars.ini) on your storage device and you're set.
Dicewars DS doesn't write any data, thus if you wish save any of the game settings, such as a player name or favourite color, edit the corresponding values in dicewars.ini file.
Note from developers:
To play the game over network, you will need to have a ready configured DS with correct Nintendo WFC settings.
To setup the network, you can use any WFC enabled game (e.g. Super Mario Kart, Tetris DS or Animal Crossing). When the WFC settings are in place, it will automatically use these settings for connection.
Your task is to conquer the whole game field by rolling dice. Each turn you may attack any opponent's territory from one of your adjacent territories as long as your territory has more than one die on it. When attacking, If you roll more than the defender, you win. At the end of each turn, the greatest number of adjoining territories you have is calculated, and you are awarded a bonus of that number of dice, which are placed randomly on your territory.
In the network game mode, you will need at least 2 players to start a game. The player starting up the game will decide the minimum and maximum amount of players. If the players wish to start the game before waiting for maximum amount of players (up to 7 players at once), the rest of the slots will be filled with CPU players.
Best to run on real hardware, should work on any flash adapter able to run homebrew application, and also booting with wmb works. If you must use an emulator (not recommended), try No$gba.
- Another update Dicewars DS v0.4.0 has been released. The old 0.3.x versions don't work when it comes to network games, so please download the attached zip if you want to play online games.
- Wifi is disabled when not needed (going to local game mode/main menu).
- Added a wireless boot startup logo.
- Ping messages have now smaller timeout values and the game tries to reconnect automatically if the connection gets lost.
- Updated to DSWiFi lib 0.3.3.
- Uploaded again modified version (0.3.2) that includes visual tweaks such as dice being piled in the end of turn and fixes on the network game.
- The multiplayer wifi game is now playable, but there may be stability issues - sometimes the DS may crash or lose a connection.
Matti Palosuo: Programming and handheld implementation.
Reko Nokkanen: Graphics.
Jari Pitkänen: Sound design.
Taro Ito: Original game design.