From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
OpenTyrian DS a port of Tyrian (vertical action shooter, original on DOS) for the Nintendo DS. It's based on OpenTyrian, which is a ground-up rewrite in C using SDL, using the original DOS source as a reference.
This is currently a work in progress. Newest version is 0.3 (released Apr 21, 2008).
- Multiplayer option available
- Variety of levels
- Ability to make improvements to the ship during the game
- Story Mode and Arcade Mode
- Coming online multiplayer option
- Make sure you have a Nintendo DS capable of running homebrew code
- Patch the .NDS file with the correct DLDI for your card
- Copy the .NDS file to your card
- Extract the data files to the root of your card (should create a /tyrian directory)
Pad - move the current ship
Y - shot
Select - pause
Tested on: Flashcard R4 Pro with firmware 1.51
- SuperCard DSONEi Flashcard with firmware 3.0
- Cannot use cheats, because there's no keyboard to type in the codes.
- Occasional guru meditation crashes during gameplay.
- No networking support.
- Redesigned the bottom screen (based on a mockup by ExeterV) in single-player Arcade and Full Game modes.
- Improved stability and performance.
- Fixed a control mapping issue; you should now be able to properly map all buttons to controls.
- Improved music playback (thanks to moi, Renard). Some of the .WAV files have been modified for this; please download the complete package instead of just the .NDS file.
- Fixed a bug that was corrupting save games, causing a crash when you tried to load the game.
- Removed the horizontal scaling in most places, to make the text easier to read. On some screens you may need to scroll slightly left or right; use the L and R buttons for this. If you prefer the old scaled mode, you can toggle this feature on the OpenTyrian menu.
- Added menu options to start Super Arcade mode or Destruct, from the OpenTyrian menu.
Many thanks to the OpenTyrian team for all their hard work.