From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
|Author(s)||Stuart Pernsteiner (aka Wosret)|
|Type||Roguelike Role Playing|
NetHack DS is port of the roguelike RPG, Nethack - Exploring The Mazes of Menace, to the DS.
Download and extract file.
DLDI patch .nds file if needed (if your card does not have auto-patching) and copy it along with the files to the root directory of the card.
NetHack is a single player dungeon exploration game that runs on a wide variety of computer systems, with a variety of graphical and text interfaces all using the same game engine.
Unlike many other Dungeons & Dragons-inspired games, the emphasis in NetHack is on discovering the detail of the dungeon and not simply killing everything in sight, in fact, killing everything in sight is a good way to die quickly.
Each game presents a different landscape. The random number generator provides an essentially unlimited number of variations of the dungeon and its denizens to be discovered by you in one of a number of characters: you can pick race, role and gender.
These are controls that apply only to NetHackDS:
- Press the arrow buttons to move up/down/left/right
- Hold L or R and press two directions at once to move diagonally.
- F5 - Switch between tiles and ASCII graphics.
- F6 - Switch the subpixel font used on the top screen. This will fix the blurry text if you are using a DS Lite.
- Alt+b - Assign commands to any of the buttons A/B/X/Y/Select/Start. L+[button], R+[button], and L+R+[button] can also have commands assigned.
For a full list of NetHack commands, type "?b" after starting the game.
Does not work on emulator.
- ESC and F1-F12 are not highlighted when pressed.
- 8-bit bitmaps are not yet supported.
- The toptenwin option must be set to see the high scores.
- The date is not calculated correctly.
- The records file is sometimes cleared at the end of the game.
v343 17 March 2007
- Updated to the latest version of libfat with DLDI support. If the game reports errors with the FAT library or problems loading files, try the DLDI driver for your device from Chishm's page.
- The keyboard graphics no longer glitch when assigning commands to buttons.
- The game now reports error messages instead of just freezing when important files are missing.
- The fonts are now compiled into the game instead of being loaded from an external file.
- Added a space after Y/N and 'what direction' prompts to make it look better.
- getlin() prompts (engraving, wishing, etc.) should no longer cause graphical glitches.
- Switching to and from ASCII graphics should no longer cause graphical glitches.
- The cursor is now visible over blank spaces when ASCII graphics are enabled.
- Nethack was made by the DevTeam and others (see section 12 of Guidebook.txt).
- The FAT driver was made by chishm.
- The subpixel font was made by Sylfurd.
- The default tiles are part of the public domain roguelike tileset "RLTiles".
- You can find the original tileset here.
- The keyboard graphics were taken from DSLinux.
- The NDS port (all ds_*.c and ds_*.h files) was written by me, Stuart Pernsteiner (Wosret).