DS Weather Report
From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
|DS Weather Report|
|Author(s)||stravingo (sks Sébastien THON)|
A weather station on NDS. User can see the current weather situation on a map. Weather information is uploaded to the server via Wifi The Weather Channel. To run the application, it must be close to an Access Point.
It was presented in the Dev-fr Coding Compo 2007 with Evolution theme, sponsored by DS-X, ranked 1st in the App section.
- Download and extract file
- DLDI patch .nds file and copy it with the file "cities.dat" to the root directory of the card
Can access a detailed weather forecast and a forecast of 5 days for more than 40,000 cities around the world in three ways:
- Or by clicking on the position of the city on the map if it is a European city.
- Either by selecting the city in a list sorted by country (2280 European cities).
- Either by entering the code directemment weather (over 40,000 cities worldwide).
This newsletter is displayed on the top screen, the download time is 1 to 3 seconds.
For weather information from ALL cities shown on the map, press X. The download takes between 30 seconds and 1 minute. You will see the temperatures and icons on the map for all cities.
A - types of information (cities/icons/temperature) displayed on the map (A for download, if not press X)
B - select city or in a list of cities by country, or by entering the code
X - switch between metric units and English units
Y - help and credits
Select - selects current city as favorite city (stored on linker)
Start - bring up on the top screen of the weather favorite city L/R - zoom out/in
Croix - move map
Stylus - selects city on map, selects city in list, etc.
The program does not work on an emulator because needs Wifi, therefore only test hardware.
- Bugfix: pressing Y for help made the program freeze. It is now corrected.
- Updating data with button X was no longer necessary as data is automatically downloaded when switching for the first time between names/icons/temperatures with button A. So, this function has been disabled.
- Button X is now used to switch between metric units and english units. Yes, you american people (and others), you can now have temperatures in Fahrenheit, distances in miles, speeds in mph, etc.
- To accentuate the look of a weather channel, scrolling news headlines are displayed at the bottom of the lower screen. These headlines are live RSS streams coming from various sources: BBC.co.uk, Meteo-world.com, GameSpot.com, PAlib.info, etc. A total of 10 RSS streams are available, but other will be added. You can switch RSS streams by pressing with the stylus on the scrolling headlines.
- Addition of Central Europe, Eastern Europe and North Africa countries.
- More than 3300 cities in the included database (and always more than 40000 cities available by code).
- More cities displayed on the world map.
- Faster world map display, now at 60 FPS.
- And last but not least, faster download time of weather information: a cache is now used on a server, with a duration of one hour. So, the download time of weather data for all the cities is now of 1 minute if the data are not cached, else it's only about 2 seconds!