PSPSIM is a port of SimCoupe, which is an emulator of the SamCoupe 8-bit British home computer. Originally written by Allan Skillman, Simon Owen and Dave Laundon, it simulates the SamCoupe model and runs on multiple platforms such as Windows, PocketPC, Unix etc.
This is a port on PSP made by Ludovic Jacomme (aka Zx-81) using the cvs version 0.90 beta 4 of SamCoupe.
Unzip the ZIP file, and copy the folder pspsim to ms0:/PSP/GAME.
Put your disk image files on the discs sub-directory.
You can switch between different mappings in the emulator window (Standard, L-Trigger and R-Trigger):
- Standard mapping.
- Danzeff On-Screen Keyboard (by Danzel and Jeff Chen).
- Customizable IR Keyboard (from the file pspirkeyb.ini).
Load SAM Disk files (ZIP, GZ, SBT, DSK, SAD, MGT, TD0)
If you want to load disk image in the virtual drive A of your emulator, put the disk file (with .zip, .gz, .sbt, .dsk, .sad, .mgt or .td0 file extension) on your PSP Memory Stick in the disk directory.
Then use the file selector in the emulator main menu to choose one disk file to load in the virtual drive of your emulator. Back to the emulator window, the disk should stard automatically (if not, press the F9 sam key to reboot).
Load Key Mapping files (KBD)
The default keyboard mapping between PSP Keys and SAM keys is not suitable for some games, and you can write your own mapping file to overcome the issue.
Edit file with the .kbd extension (with any text editors) and put it in the kbd directory. Sample and syntax can be found in the file default.kbd. KBD file can be loaded in the main menu. If the keyboard filename is the same as the disk filename, the corresponding keyboard file is automatically loaded (when you run the particular disk).
You can further edit, load and save the yourkeyboard mapping files in the Keyboard menu. The Save option saves the KBD file in the kbd directory using the Game Name as filename. The game name is displayed on the right corner in the emulator menu.
SAM emulator window (Normal):
Square - Delete
Triangle - Escape
Cross - Space
Circle - Return
D-Pad - Up/Down/Left/Right
L - Toogle with L keyboard mapping
R - Toggle with R keyboard mapping
SAM emulator window (L-Trigger):
Square - FPS
Triangle/Cross - Render
Circle - Swap Joystick
Up - DecY
Down - IncY
Left - DecX
Right - IncX
SAM emulator window (R-Trigger):
Square - Space
Triangle - Escape
Cross - F9
Circle - Escape
D-Pad - Up/Down/Left/Right
Analog Right - 6
Analog Left - 7
Analog Down - 8
Analog Up - 9
L+R+Start - Exit the emulator
R - Reset the SAM
Triangle - Go Up directory
Cross/Circle - Valid
Square - Go Back to the emulator window
Analog - Choose one of the 9 squares
Triangle/Square/Cross/Circle - Choose one of the 4 letters of the highlighted square
L/R - See other 9 squares figures
D-Pad - Cursor
Start - Ctrl-W, Tab
Select - Ctrl-Q, Escape
Triangle - Ctrl-E
Cross - Ctrl-X
Square - Ctrl-S
Circle - Ctrl-F
L - Ctrl-Z
R - Ctrl-C
Developed for Firmware 3.71-m33.
- Many optimizations to speed up the emulation in z80, video and sound emulation part. Many games are now fullspeed (50 fps) even at 222Mhz.
- Many new render modes and screen size options (normal, fit, max etc).
- The emulator window can now be moved to fit the screen properly.
- Add new hotkeys to setup render mode etc.
- Bug fix in the low battery watchdog.
- RTrigger/LTrigger keys can be used in the keyboard settings menu to navigate between Normal, LTrigger and RTrigger compose mapping.
- Default Hotkeys can now be set in the keyboard mapping menu (useful to add hotkeys on existing/previous keyboard files).
- Code cleaning.
- Speed improvement for all render mode (all render modes used now the GU).
- Automatic start when a new disk is loaded.
- Bug fix in the keyboard settings menu (d-pad can be used to move up or down in the key menu, even if the virtual keyboard is displayed).
- Analog pad can be used to scroll faster in the file menu requester.
- IR keyboard support.
- Speed improvement.
- New speed limiter function.
- Add option to display fps rate.
- Now compatible with custom firmwares 3.x and PSP-slim.
- Add a simple intro splash screen.
- Option to prevent the blue led to be displayed when L or R are pressed.
- New help menu.
- Support iso8859-1 fonts in print text functions (might be useful to translate menus in german, french).
- Bug fix and code cleaning.
- Bug fix: Frame skip option is now saved with game settings (Thanks to Nick666, who had reported me this bug).
- From Mr Nick666:
- New beautiful background images designed by Mr Nick666.
- Settings files for most of all famous games.
- New graphical functions with new smoother render modes. It uses the PSP GPU for rendering, it does not run faster, but it's a lot smoother.
- Multiple keyboard mapping feature (Thanks to Pou-chan):
- You can now toggle between three differents keyboard mapping using.
- Bug fix in Rom file requester.
- Add help menu.
- Icons and background images designed by Mr Nick666.
- Emulator menus reorganisation (new menu for settings).
- The percent of battery left is now displayed in the emulator window.
- Add a watchdog to automatically return to the emulator menu when the battery is very low (< 5%).
- New feature to save and load a distinct setting file for each games.
- Add keyboard change skin option (you can add your own virtual keyboard images in the graphics directory).
- Delete files option (in the file selector).
- Screenshots are now saved in PNG format instead of BMP.
- Add fullscreen, zoom x1.5, x1.75 and x2 mode.
- Major speed optimizations (now full speed at 333Mhz).
- Change default keyboard mapping.
- Intial release.
Thanks to Danzel and Jeff Chen for the virtual keyboard, and to all PSPSDK developers.
Special thanks goes to Mr Nick666 for the graphics icons and background images, the settings and keyboard mapping files for several famous games.