PSPColem is a port of ColEm, the emulator of the ColecoVision videogame console.
Originally developed by Marat Fayzullin, ColEm runs on FreeBSD, HP-UX, SunOS, Solaris, Linux, and other Unix systems. There are also ports to MacOS, MSDOS, Windows, OS/2, PocketPC and other systems.
This is a port on PSP of the Unix version 1.0 of ColEm made by Ludovic Jacomme (aka Zx-81).
Unzip the ZIP file, and copy the the folder pspcolem to ms0:/PSP/GAME/.
Put your rom image files on the roms sub-directory.
Load ColecVision Rom files (ZIP, ROM)
Put your rom file (with .zip, or .rom file extension) on your PSP Memory Stick in the rom directory. Go to the main menu, select your rom then go back to the emulator window to run the rom.
If you have multple roms the the same folder, you can swap between the two virtual keyboard panels (numbers & letters) and search fo the game in the file requester menu.
In addition, you can write your own comments for games using the Comment menu. The first line of your comments would then be displayed in the file requester menu while selecting the given file name (roms, keyboard, settings).
Load Key Mapping files (KBD)
The default keyboard mapping between PSP Keys and ColecoVision keys, is not suitable for all games, and you can write your own mapping file to overcome the issue (please see the sample mapping file default.kbd in the kdb directory).
The keyboard mapping files, can then be loaded using the main menu inside the emulator. If the keyboard filename is the same as the rom (ZIP, ROM) then when you load this rom, the corresponding keyboard file is automatically loaded.
You can use the Keyboard menu and edit, load and save your keyboard mapping files inside the emulator for further configuration. In that case the KBD file will be saved in the kbd directory using the Game Name as filename. The game name is displayed on the right corner in the emulator menu.
Cheat Code (CHT)
Edit cheat.txt inside the cht directory and you can import the cheat codes in the Cheat menu. You can use the Cheat menu to search for modified bytes in RAM between current time and the last time you saved the RAM (monitoring for example life numbers).
- Sound enable.
- IRDA device.
- Speed limiter.
- Skip frame.
- Display fps.
- Render mode.
- Delta Y.
- Display LR led.
- Clock frequency.
- Swap Analog/Cursor - Swap key mapping between Analog and D-Pad on PSP.
- Auto fire period - Auto fire period.
- Auto fire mode - Activate/deactivate auto fire mode.
This version of PSPColem supports IRDA-Joystick box.
- IRDA mode - Type of DB9 device connected to the Irda Joystick box. It could be None, Joystick, Single or double paddle.
- IRDA debug - Enable or disable debug mode to display data sent by the Irda Joystick box.
- Multiple mapping in the emulator window (Standard, L-Trigger and R-Trigger).
- Danzeff On-Screen Keyboard (by Danzel and Jeff Chen).
- Customizable IR Keyboard (from the file pspirkeyb.ini).
ColEm emulator window (Normal mapping):
Triangle - 1
Square - 2
Cross - FIRE1
Circle - FIRE2
D-Pad - Up/Down/Left/Right
L - Toogle with L keyboard mapping
R - Toggle with R keyboard mapping
ColEm emulator window (L-Trigger):
Square - Fps
Triangle - Load state
Cross - Save state
Circle - Swap Analog/D-pad
Up - Inc delta
Down - Dec delta
Left/Right - Render mode
ColEm emulator window (R-Trigger):
Square - Reset
Triangle - *
Cross - Auto-fire
Circle - FIRE2
Up - 0
Down - 3
Left - Dec Fire
Right - Inc Fire
Analog - Joystick
Start+L+R - Exit and return to eloader
Select - Enter in emulator main menu
Start - Open/close the On-Screen keyboard
L+R+Start - Exit the emulator
R - Reset the ColecoVision console
Triangle - Go Up directory
Cross/Circle - Valid
Square - Go Back to the emulator window
Analog - Choose one of the 9 squares
Triangle/Square/Cross/Circle - Choose one of the 4 letters of the highlighted square
D-Pad - Cursor
Start - Ctrl-W, Tab
Select - Ctrl-Q, Escape
Triangle - Ctrl-E
Cross - Ctrl-X
Square - Ctrl-S
Circle - Ctrl-F
L - Ctrl-Z
R - Ctrl-C
IRDA Joystick box:
D-Pad - Up/Down/Left/Right
Cross - Joy Fire
Analog Right - Paddle 1+
Analog Left - Paddle 1-
Cross - Paddle 1 Fire
Analog Up - Paddle 2+
Analog Down - Paddle 2-
Circle - Paddle 2 Fire
Developed for Firmware 5.01-M33 should work for others M33 Firmwares.
- This version supports IRDA-Joystick box designed by good friend Buzz (http://buzz.computer.free.fr). Schematic and PIC source code is provided in contrib folder.
- Add "IRDA joystick" device support for both DB9 Joystick and Atari Paddle.
- Add menu for IRDA joystick settings and keys mapping.
- Add option to choose between IRDA devices (keyboard or joystick).
- Improve emulation speed (now > 60 fps at 133 Mhz).
- Default speed is now 133 Mhz (for green emulation).
- New background graphics.
- Finally fix issue with "Home -> Exit".
- Text editor to write your own comments on games.
- Display first comment line while browsing game files.
- Text editor to modify the global cheat.txt file.
- Auto fire support for second joystick.
- Bug fix in unzip rom function (unable to open more than 10 zipped files).
- Bug fix in z80 emulation (game such as moon patrol were buggy).
- Cheat support.
- Memory monitoring engine to find your own cheat code.
- Zip rom files are now decompressed in memory (much faster).
- New render modes and vertical shift feature.
- Improve file requester with virtual keyboard to choose sequentially rom files beginning with a given letter
- Add documentation for settings in help menu.
- A thumbnail image is now displayed in the file requester while selecting any file with the same name of a previously saved game (roms, keyboard, settings). It might be very helpful to recognize that game later if you have thousand different games in your rom folder.
- The virtual keyboard is now usable in the file requester menu to choose the first letter of the game you search.
- In the emulator menu you can go directly to keyboard and settings menu using the L-Trigger key.
- Fix IR keyboard issue with fw >= 3.80 for FAT PSP.
- New default keyboard mapping.
- Add Moon Patrol music to EBOOT.
- Source code can now be compiled to build a linux version.
- Speed improvements (z80 part rewritten using jump tables).
- IR keyboard support (mainly for menu).
- Auto-fire mode, press RTrigger+X to switch it on/off.
- Add several new hotkeys:
- Settings such as fps, render mode, auto fire speed can now be directly modified inside the emulator (no need to enter in the settings menu).
- Quick save / quick load current state (no need to enter in the main menu).
- Default Hotkeys can now be set in the keyboard mapping menu (useful to add hotkeys on existing/previous keyboard files).
- Bug fix in the low battery watchdog.
- Add vsync option.
- Add ntsc/pal option and fix issue with default speed (emulator was too slow in ntsc mode).
- Display and save thumbnail images for each save state.
- New graphics.
- Option to prevent the blue led to be displayed when L or R are pressed.
- Option to display frame rate.
- Compatible with custom firmwares 3.x and PSP-slim.
- Add a simple intro splash screen.
- Support iso8859-1 fonts in print text functions (might be useful to translate psp2600 menus in german, french).
- Bug fix in file requester.
- Save state files are now saved using gzip compression (with STZ as file extention). It's much faster to save or load states now. You can use gzip or 7-zip to convert old STA to STZ. STA file format is still supported for loading, so you convert your previous saved files inside the emulator.
- Save state dates are displayed in the emulator window (it's now easier to identify and to load the right save state slot).
- New graphical functions with new smoother render modes. It uses the PSP GPU for rendering, it does not run faster, but it's a lot smoother.
- Add a new fullscreen option (render mode max).
- Bug fix in Rom file requester.
- Multiple keyboard mapping feature (Thanks to Pou-chan):
- You can now toggle between three differents keyboard mapping using.
- Add help menu.
- Bug fix in PNG screenshots (bad colors).
- Bug fix in the file selector (state files loading).
- Bug fix in the keyboard menu.
- Emulator menus reorganisation (new menu for settings).
- Icons and background images modification.
- The percent of battery left is now displayed in the emulator window.
- Add a watchdog to automatically return to the emulator menu when the battery is very low (< 5%).
- New feature to save and load a distinct setting file for each games.
- Add keyboard change skin option (you can add your own virtual keyboard images in the graphics directory).
- Speed limiter option.
- Delete files option (in the file selector).
- Screenshots are now saved in PNG format instead of BMP.
- Speed improvement.
- Bug fix.
- Add second joystick feature.
- Add exit menu.
- Bug fix: keyboard files are now properly loaded (as it should be).
- Add Load/Save/Del states menu.
- Add .col as valid extention for rom files.
- Bug Fix: emulator configuration is now properly loaded on startup.
- Add sound support.
- Add option to limit the CPU speed.
- Intial release.
- A ColecoVision videogame system emulator by Marat Fayzullin.
- Porting on PSP by Ludovic Jacomme.
- Danzel and Jeff Chen for the virtual keyboard, and to all PSPSDK developers.
- Fredjmh123 for the advices on the sound support.
- Crait for the graphics in previous versions.