GlitchDS is a homebrew Cellular Automaton music sequencer for the Nintendo DS. It is for creating IDM and Glitch style loops. R4DS is required for using this application.
- Customizable Cellular Automaton sequencer.
- Create your own “trigger points”.
- Load in your own sounds.
- Save and load your work.
- BPM settings, or “strum mode” for controlling tempo.
- Up to 6 sounds can be loaded at once.
- Each sound has its own 32 step frequency modulation sequencer.
- Global Distortion setting.
glitchDS is organized into different pages.
- Sequencer Control - It has a 32 step sequencer based on the Game of Life. After 32 mutations, the sequence starts over.
- Trigger Config - How does the sequencer know when to play a sound? Triggers! It specifies what should happen when a node on the sequencer graph changes from 0 (black) to 1 (white).
- Choose Sounds - You can assign a sound to one of the swatches (otherwise known as the little colored boxes at the top of the screen).
- Clock Control - Allows you to set the BPM (beats per minute) of the sequence playback. The BPM is approximate.
- Frequency Modulation - You can modify the frequency (pitch) of each sound via the frequency modulation page.
- Distortion Settings - A rapid fluctuation of the sound's frequency.
- Save/Load - Save current song along with all settings.
Further details can be found from the official site.
Start - Toggle between starting/stopping the sequencer
L/R - Switch between pages
Draw on bottom screen to “seed” the cellular automaton pattern.
Y - Clear sequencer pattern
Left - Decrease sequencer length by a power of 2
Right - Increase sequencer length by a power of 2
A+Left - Decrease sequencer length by 1
A+Right - Increase sequencer length by 1
Draw on bottom screen to place triggers for cellular automaton sequencer.
Y - Clear triggers
Up - Scroll up to previous sound
Down - Scroll down to next sound
X - Page up to previous page of sounds
B - Page down to next page of sounds
A - Load sound into selected swatch
Up - Increase BPM by 1
Down - Decrease BPM by 1
Right - Increase BPM by 10
Left - Decrease BPM by 10
Y - Toggle between strum mode and BPM mode
Y - Reset all frequencies to 22,100
B - Reset all frequencies to NOTE OFF
A+Up - Shift all frequencies up
A+Down - Shift all frequencies down
A - Load selected snapshot
B - Save current song as new snapshot
X - Save current song as selected snapshot (write over selected snapshot file)
Y - Delete selected snapshot file
Left - Save current song settings as a new version of selected snapshot file
Demo (Bret Truchan)
Demo 2 (Bret Truchan)
DSLinker, DSTT, CycloDS Evolution, Acekard 2, EDGE, DS-X
M3Real pack (need to load it using Slot 2/the GBA slot, which in turn requires you to have a GBA expansion pack)
M3DSreal with system software 3.7 using DSOrganize
On the NAND memory of the “AceKard R.P.G” card
Games & Music card after DLDI patching
EZ Flash 5 after patching the DLDI driver
- Official website - http://www.glitchds.com/about/glitchds