From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
GlitchDS is a homebrew Cellular Automaton music sequencer for the Nintendo DS. It is for creating IDM and Glitch style loops. R4DS is required for using this application.
- Customizable Cellular Automaton sequencer
- Create your own “trigger points”
- Load in your own sounds
- Save and load your work
- BPM settings, or “strum mode” for controlling tempo
- Up to 6 sounds can be loaded at once
- Each sound has its own 32 step frequency modulation sequencer
- Global Distortion setting
glitchDS is organized into different pages.
Sequencer control: glitchDS has a 32 step sequencer based on the “game of life“. After 32 mutations, the sequence starts over.
Trigger configuration: How does the sequencer know when to play a sound? Triggers! A trigger specifies what should happen when a certain node on the sequencer graph changes from 0 (black) to 1 (white).
Choose sounds: The choose sounds page allows you to assign a sound to one of the “swatches” (otherwise known as the little colored boxes at the top of the screen).
Clock control: The clock control page lets you set the BPM (beats per minute) of the sequence playback. The BPM is approximate.
Frequency modulation: You can modify the frequency (pitch) of each sound via the frequency modulation page.
Distortion settings: A rapid fluctuation of the sound’s frequency
Save/load: Save current “song” along with all settings.
- start - toggle between starting/stopping the sequencer
- L/R - switch between pages
- Draw on bottom screen to “seed” the cellular automaton pattern
- Y - clear sequencer pattern
- Left - decrease sequencer length by a power of 2
- Right - increase sequencer length by a power of 2
- A+Left - decrease sequencer length by 1
- A+Right - increase sequencer length by 1
- Draw on bottom screen to place triggers for cellular automaton sequencer
- Y - clear triggers
- Up - scroll up to previous sound
- Down - scroll down to next sound
- X - page up to previous page of sounds
- B - page down to next page of sounds
- A - load sound into selected swatch
- Up - increase BPM by 1
- Down - decrease BPM by 1
- Right - increase BPM by 10
- Left - decrease BPM by 10
- Y - toggle between strum mode and BPM mode
- Y - reset all frequencies to 22,100
- B - reset all frequencies to NOTE OFF
- A+Up - shift all frequencies up
- A+Down - shift all frequencies down
- A - load selected snapshot
- B - save current song as new snapshot
- X - save current song as selected snapshot (write over selected snapshot file)
- Y - delete selected snapshot file
- Left - save current song settings as a new version of selected snapshot file
Works on:DSLinker, DSTT, CycloDS Evolution, Acekard 2, EDGE, DS-X
- M3Real pack: but you need to load it using Slot 2/the GBA slot. (Which in turn requires you to have such a GBA expansion pack)
- M3DSreal with system software 3.7 using DSOrganize
- On the NAND memory of the “AceKard R.P.G” card
- Games & Music card after DLDI patching
- EZ Flash 5 after patching the DLDI driver