FBZX is a ZX Spectrum emulator for FrameBuffer written by Sergio Costas (http://www.rastersoft.com/fbzx.html) and ported to Wii by Oibaf.
FBZX Wii can be found on google code at fbzx-wii.googlecode.com
The port uses SDL Wii.
The main features are:
- Emulates accurately the Original 48Kspectrum (both issue 2 and issue 3), the classic 128K, the Amstrad Plus 2, the Amstrad Plus 2A and the Spanish 128K. This includes screen, keyboard and sound (both speaker and AY-3-8912 chip).
- Screen emulation is extremely accurate, so it can emulate border effects and even attribute effects.
- Supports Z80 snapshots, both loading and saving, and loading .SNA snapshots.
- Supports TAP (both read and write) and TZX (only read) tape files, supporting normal speed loading and fast speed loading.
- Emulates up to 2 joysticks of types: kempston, cursor and sinclair1 and sinclair2.
- All the wiimote, nunchuck and classic controller buttons and joypads are fully configurable.
- Virtual keyboard support.
- Emulates the Interface I and Microdrive.
- Emulates the ULAPlus
- Based in a new, fully free, Z80 emulator (Z80Free).
Untar the binary release on your SD card, which gives you a structure as follows:
/fbzx-wii/fbzx /fbzx-wii/spectrum-roms /fbzx-wii/tapes /fbzx-wii/snapshots /fbzx-wii/microdrives /fbzx-wii/scr /fbzx-wii/configurations /apps/fbzx-wii
Put .z80 and .sna files in /fbzx-wii/snapshots or .tap and .tzx files in /fbzx-wii/tapes on your SD card.
The roms are in /fbzx-wii/spectrum-roms. Although Amstrad is the current proprietary of the copyright of the original ZX Spectrum ROMs, they have kindly given their permission for its redistribution with Spectrum emulators.
FBZX wii has 2 GUIs. One is accessible from the keyboard through the Function Keys (F1 for help) and one from the wiimote pressing the home button.
From the wiimote press 1 to select an item and 2 to escape. Press the "+" button to access the virtual keyboard.
The in-game menu allows you to insert tapes, load them and configure the display, joysticks etc. The easiest way to play a game is to load a snapshot (.z80 and .sna files).
You can also insert a tape file (.tap and .tzx) and then load the file in the tape menu (it simulates the command Load ""). If you have problems with a .tap file, likely the TAP file has a program which uses a custom routine to load the blocks; in this case, try to disbale the "Tap fast speed" function.
If you want to speed up the tape file loading (both for .tzx file and .tap file with "tap fast speed" disabled), try to enable "turbo mode" which speeds up the emulator by 4 or by 7. In this case, do not forget to revert to normal speed after the loading.
You can also load games from your PC with a wi-fi connection through SMB protocol. You should configure fbzx.smb file and select the option in the tools menu. See the tinysmb page for additional information and troubleshooting.
You can bind all the keyboard buttons and joystick fire to the wiimote/nunchuck buttons and to the joypad.
Snapshots and scr files will be stored on the SD card.
The general preferences are saved (joystick type, machine, buttons bindings, etc.) from the main in-game menu and they are loaded on start-up.
You can also save the game preferences which can be automatically loaded with the tape/snapshot if the related option is set.
If rumble is enabled, the wiimote rumbles each time the fire button is pressed
FBZX is highly configurable. Access the menu to configure the emulation and wiimote settings.
The menu support allows selecting which machine model to emulate.
Please report issues and feature requests in the fbzx-wii issue tracker on googlecode.
- In Joypad mode, the nunchuck works now
- New code for Y-3-8912 emulation
- Fixed RETN and RETI Z80 instructions
- Fixed Flag emulation for many Z80 opcodes: Speedlock loader works now. Only the Flag in Bit n, (HL) is not correctly emulated.
- Added arrows keys binding to joysticks
- Added game configuration management
- Changed general configuration management
- Added ultraspeed turbo mode
- Added ULA+ contention
- Fixed bug in sound and increased volume
- Fixed some bugs in Z80 emulation. Ant Attack works now
- Fixed some other small bugs
- Added smb support
- Added usb disk support
- Added joypad as joystick function
- Added saving of all configurations and buttons
- Improved virtual keyboard
- Fixed bug in sound emulation
- Fixed some other small bugs
- Initial release
FBZX Wii is GPLv3.
- Sergio Costas who did more most of the work!