HOW TO INSTALL THIS
Copy the entire folder ('RetroArch-XBox1') to your harddrive.
ROMs go into the 'roms' directory, or some subdirectory in the 'RetroArch-XB1' directory.
HOW TO USE THIS
On first startup, RetroArch will select one of the dozen or so emulator/game cores. The name of the core currently loaded will be shown at the top side of the screen.
You can now select a data file (ie. a game executable and/or a ROM) that this core supports and load it in the Filebrowser.
To select a different core - go to 'Core' in the Main Menu. Select a core and then press A to switch to the emulator/game core.
During ingame operation you can do some extra actions:
Right Thumb Stick - Down - Fast-forwards the game Right Thumb Stick - Up - Rewinds the game in real-time
('Rewind' has to be enabled in the 'Settings' screen - warning - comes at a slight performance decrease but will be worth it if you love this feature)
RStick Left + RT - Decrease save state slot Rtick Right + RT - Increase save state slot RStick Up + RT - Load selected save state slot RStick Down + RT - Save selected save state slot Right Thumb + Left Thumb - Go back to 'Menu'
FILE BROWSER EXTRA CONTROLS
Left Trigger - Go to previous drive mapping Right Trigger - Go to next drive mapping
White - Scroll list up Black - Scroll list down
WHAT IS RETROARCH?
RetroArch is a modular multi-system emulator system that is designed to be fast, lightweight and portable. It has features few other emulator frontends have, such as real-time rewinding and game-aware shading.
WHAT IS LIBRETRO?
Libretro is the API that RetroArch uses. It makes it easy to port games and emulators to a single core backend, such as RetroArch.
For the user, this means - more ports to play with, more crossplatform portability, less worrying about developers having to reinvent the wheel writing boilerplate UI/port code - so that they can get busy with writing the emulator/porting the emulator/game.
WHAT'S THE BIG DEAL?
Right now it's unique in that it runs the same emulator cores on multiple systems (such as Xbox 360, Xbox 1, PS3, PC, Wii, etc).
For each emulator 'core', RetroArch makes use of a library API that we like to call 'libretro'.
Think of libretro as an interface for emulator and game ports. You can make a libretro port once and expect the same code to run on all the platforms that RetroArch supports. It's designed with simplicity and ease of use in mind so that the porter can worry about the port at hand instead of having to wrestle with an obfuscatory API.
The purpose of libretro is to help ease the work of the emulator/game porter by giving him an API that allows him to target multiple platforms at once without having to redo any code. He doesn't have to worry about writing input/video/audio drivers - all of that is supplied to him by RetroArch. All he has to do is to have the emulator port hook into the libretro API and that's it - we take care of the rest.
XBOX 1 PORT
The Xbox 1 port of RetroArch has the following features:
- Real-time rewinding. - Switching between emulator cores seamlessly, and ability to install new libretro cores
EMULATOR/GAME CORES BUNDLED WITH XBOX 1 PORT
For more information about the available cores, see the included 'retroarch-cores-manual.pdf' file.
- - VBA Next doesn't run at fullspeed on Wii (VBA Next is a RetroConsole
Level 2 emulator port). It will be replaced by a port of gpSP in the near future.
- The biggest Neo-Geo ROMs that can be loaded are around 23+MB in
size, such as Real Bout Fatal Fury 1 and King of Fighters '96.
WHAT EXTENSIONS ARE SUPPORTED BY EACH CORE
- Prboom wad - Tyrquake pak - SNES9x Next smc|fig|sfc|gd3|gd7|dx2|bsx|swc - Genesis Plus GX md|smd|bin|gen|bin|sms|gg|sg|cue - NXEngine/Cave Story exe - VBA Next gba - FCEUmm nes|unif - NEStopia nes|fds - Gambatte gb|gbc|dmg - Final Burn Alpha zip - Mednafen PCE pce|cue - Mednafen Wonderswan ws|wsc - Mednafen NGP ngp - Mednafen VB vb
Selecting a ZIP file will temporarily unzip that file to the harddrive. The temporary file will be deleted as soon as the game gets unloaded and/or when you quit RetroArch.
NOTE: For the FBA core (and other cores that have 'block_extract' set to true) - selecting a ZIP file from the Filebrowser will load that game directly.
If you find that RetroArch no longer works for whatever reason, there is a way to get it back to work -
- Remove retroarch.cfg from the 'Retroarch-XB1' folder, then start up again. The Libretro management service in RetroArch should automatically pick a random libretro core and write this to the config file.
What can you expect in the future?
- Make the libxenon port release-worthy. - Finish up MAME 0.72 port - Finish up ScummVM port - Port of VICE to libretro - More emulators, more games that will run on RetroArch - Lots of other crazy ideas that might or might not pan out
- Mudlord for his Waterpaint/Noise shaders. - Hyllian for the xBR shader. - Opium2k for the nice manual shaders (bundled with PS3 release). - Deank for assistance with RetroArch Salamander on CFW PS3s and
- FBA devs for adopting the libretro port. - Ekeeke for help with the Genesis Plus GX port. - ToadKing for having done a lot of work on RetroArch Wii. - Freakdave for helping out with the Xbox 1 port.