PS3 Jailbreaking F.A.Q
From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
This is a FAQS guide of how to Jailbreak your PS3 console.
- 1 Q) Why Would I Hack/Jailbreak My PS3 ?
- 2 (Q) Is there a firmware my PS3 should be on ?
- 3 (Q) What Firmwares cannot be hacked yet ?
- 4 (Q) But when i bought my PS3, the firmware was above 3.55/My family member updated my console when i was out :( , how can i have Homebrew ?
- 5 (Q) Which PS3 Consoles cannot be downgraded ?
- 6 (Q) Downgrading was a pain, i don’t want to go through that again, is there a way i can protect my PS3 from accidental upgrading ?
- 7 (Q) What Firmwares are available for me to install
- 8 (Q) How do i install CFW ?
- 9 (Q) Ok so i have CFW installed, how do i run homebrew ?
- 10 (Q) Now that i have updated to 3.55 CFW, is there a list of working homebrew app’s/games ?
- 11 (Q) How do i run backups ?
- 12 (Q) I have games that require 3.56 firmware and above, how do i play them ?
- 13 (Q) There surely has to be a free method for playing backups ?
- 14 (Q) How do i convert my PS3 from Cex>Dex ?
- 15 (Q) Now that i am on 3.55, can i install Linux ?
- 16 (Q) Ok im fed up with using my thumb drive, is there a way to download apps directly to the PS3.
- 17 (Q) Ok so i have backed up a game, i want to save that game to my computer as an extra backup, or i want to mod the game, how do i transfer it from my PS3.
- 18 (Q) I want to be able to create my own Homebrew, is it possible.
- 19 (Q) I backed up a few of my movies to .AVI and .MKV formats, but when i try and play them through Showtime, or stream them via PS3Media Server, i get a Cinavia warning, is there any way past this ?
- 20 (Q) Can play PS2/PS1 backups on my Jailbroken PS3 ?
- 21 (Q) The PS3 boot up logo annoys me, can i change it ?
Q) Why Would I Hack/Jailbreak My PS3 ?
(A) Hacking your PS3, gives you so many new option’s, you will be able to use emulators, homebrew apps and game backups as well as being able to use Linux, after Sony removed the function in firmware 3.21.
(Q) Is there a firmware my PS3 should be on ?
(A) It seems the preferable firmwares are 3.15(For the real OtherOS), 3.41(The original “Jailbreak” firmware) and 3.55(the first CFW PS3), 3.55 is the favourite and most used.
(Q) What Firmwares cannot be hacked yet ?
(A) 3.56 to 4.21 are unhackable at the moment, perhaps it will remain that way, or perhaps we will see a break through in the future, only time will tell.
(Q) But when i bought my PS3, the firmware was above 3.55/My family member updated my console when i was out :( , how can i have Homebrew ?
(A) All hope isn’t lost, you can downgrade your consoles firmware with hardware, here is a list:
Visit here for more information: Dev Wiki – Hardware Flashing.
(Q) Which PS3 Consoles cannot be downgraded ?
(A) Unfortunately there are some consoles that cannot at this stage be downgraded, these are certain models of CECH-25xx, 3K models and 4K models, for more info, check here:
(Q) Downgrading was a pain, i don’t want to go through that again, is there a way i can protect my PS3 from accidental upgrading ?
(A) You can use Team Rebugs firmware spoofer, it spoofs the firmware, so that when someone attempts to update the PS3, via internet, the PS3 tells them they are already on the highest firmware, as an extra precaution, you should remove your consoles access to the PS3, when you are not around, you can grab your spoofer, from the offical Rebug site here.
(Q) What Firmwares are available for me to install
(A) There are many different versions of MFW, but the most popular are:
Rogero Rebug Kmeaw
(Q) How do i install CFW ?
(A) If you aren’t already on 3.55, you will need to update to the official Sony firmware, then install a CFW via recovery, Pirate wrote a great guide, which you can read here:
[Tutorial] How to play and install Backups with Kmeaw CFW+PSN without risk of brick or itskamel’s NOOB JAILBREAK GUIDE
(Q) Ok so i have CFW installed, how do i run homebrew ?
(A) You will see in the game section, you will see “Install Package Files”, you will be able to install all your homebrew and backup managers from there, just a note though, the PKG files that you are installing, need to be on the root of your FAT32 formatted thumbdrive/external HDD.
(Q) Now that i have updated to 3.55 CFW, is there a list of working homebrew app’s/games ?
(Q) How do i run backups ?
(A) You will need a backup manager, it seems that only two are being used at the moment:
Rogero’s Rogero Manager deank’s Cobra endorsed mmCM
(Q) I have games that require 3.56 firmware and above, how do i play them ?
(A) The only easy option available is a reDRM device called True Blue(TB), you can buy the piece of shit or one of its clones.
(Q) There surely has to be a free method for playing backups ?
(A) Up until recently, the diseased reDRM device was the only way, but recently a CEX>Dex conversion was leaked and that paved the way to running backups which require a higher firmware.
(Q) How do i convert my PS3 from Cex>Dex ?
(A) There are a few ways, though this is an extremely dangerous method for your PS3, if you do not know what you are doing, you will brick, check here for some help: CEX2DEX Application Released – Supports Any PS3 NOR / NAND Flash Dump
(Q) How do i run backups on a Cex>Dex converted PS3 ?
(A) There are different methods popping up, here is one:
[Tutorial] How To Run Backups On DEX 3.6+
(Q) What are my storage options for backing up games ?
(A.1) You can backups certain games to CD/DVD/BD disc’s, read here for more information.
(A.2) You can install games on the PS3′s internal HDD or use an External USB HDD, which needs to be formatted to FAT32, you can also use a FAT32 USB Thumb Drive, note that with FAT32 you are limited to games with single files under 4GB, if you prefer all your games to be on the internal HDD, you can get up to 1TB 2.5? HDD, or you can use the Xecuter PS3 HDXT method and have your internal HDD on the outside of the machine, the benefit of this, is that you can use 3.5? Sata and IDE HDD’s as internal storage.
Some more PS3 HDD Information submitted by eussNL(Thanks again)
- maximum height is 9,5mm (many 2.5? drives above 640GB are too high too fit inside)
- maximum PS3 filesystem is 1TB (512KB block size)
- maximum FAT32 theoretical size is 8TB, practical limit on the PS3 is 2TB
- 7200rpm can be used, as well as Flashdrives (although the 1/5th lower loadingtime of GTA5 can be considered too low to justify the higher pricetag of SATA Flashdrives.
- SATAII-300 can be used, although it will work on SATA1-150 speed interface.
- If using external 3.5? drives hooked up to the internal SATA, you’ll need an external powersupply (some drivebays include them).
- If on low budget or you like DIY: use a normal extension (male to female) SATA cable (and make sure it doesn’t get loose) and recycle the case + powersupply of an
external USB harddisk (without using the USB connection/conversion).
- Don’t use RAID or SAN drives with (e)SATA interface, just a plain single drive with a bare SATA connector (many controllers don’t work without drivers/software).
- Games can be hardcoded for BluRay speeds (9MB/s) so sticking a 85~220MB/s harddrive inside will not speedup everything/allways (but most do).
- If you plan on exchanging the drive, download the full PUP of your FW you are using and put it on an USB Mass Storage Device formatted with FAT32 in PS3UPDATEPS3UPDAT.PUP and disconnect the LAN before re powering the PS3 (or you’ll bound to end up with the latest (3.55 now) unjailbreakable/undowngradable version).
- Use a good fitting X screwdriver, the screws fitted to the HD<>tray are made of very soft aluminum.
Here is a tutorial, by forum member Invi, on how to an External IDE HDD Case and use it as Internal Storage:
HowTo: Use an external IDE HDD Case to connect an Internal 3,5″ Sata HDD as PS3 HDD.
An image of the Xecuter PS3 HDXT.
Videos of different HDD expansion options.
(Q) Now that i am on 3.55, can i install Linux ?
(A) Linux on PS3
(Q) Ok im fed up with using my thumb drive, is there a way to download apps directly to the PS3.
(A) Yes,you will need to instal “Package Installer”, then you will be able to FTP the apps to the “packages” folder on your PS3, you can find more about that here.
(Q) Ok so i have backed up a game, i want to save that game to my computer as an extra backup, or i want to mod the game, how do i transfer it from my PS3.
(A) There are two methods, FTP, there are three of those at the moment:
Alternatively you can use
if you cant use FTP, or have an External HDD, Comgenies Filemanager is the best choice.
(Q) I want to be able to create my own Homebrew, is it possible.
(A.1) Yes, using the Open Source PS3 SDK, named PSL1GHT, you can create Homebrew, PSL1GHT was created by AerialX, read about it here.
(A.2) You can use the Official Sony SDK, it is reported that this is better for creating homebrew, than the open source version.
(A) You can install this app:
Disable Cinavia Installer (3.41 & 3.55)(By Team Rebug)
(Q) Can play PS2/PS1 backups on my Jailbroken PS3 ?
(A.1) You can use this method, it lets you use Swap Magic to load PS2 backups on your PS3, the only consoles allowed, are those that are Backwards Compatible, this option also works on a non Jailbroken PS3, even with firmware 3.70
(A.2) You can use the Cobra USB dongle, to play PS1 or PS2 backups on your Jailbroken PS3, it is compatible with firmwares 3.41 and 3.55.
(A.3) You can use this method to play PS1 backups on firmware 3.41 and 3.55.
(Q) The PS3 boot up logo annoys me, can i change it ?
(A) Indeed you can, you can change both the visual and audio, these logos are called ColdBoots, you can either:
Create your own using TizzyT’s ColdBoot appliction(Click). Download them from ColdBoots.net(Click)