DS Visual Novel Reader
From GameBrew - a wiki dedicated to Video Game Homebrew.
|Author(s)||Jake Probst, anoNL|
Visual Novel Reader is a Nintendo DS application used for playing novels formatted with sound and pictures. It is designed to play visual novels created in .scr format.
- Extract the .tar.gz onto the root of the SD card so the path is /vnds/. To install a visual novel, extract the tar.gz in /vnds/novels, so it has its own folder (ie. /vnds/novels/tsukihime). Sound files should end up in /vnds/novels/<game folder>/sound/.
- Alternatively, take the .novel file and place it in the /vnds/novel/ folder.
Visit here for more VNDS novels.
- any save prior to version 1.3.1 needs to be ran though the sav2xml.py utility in the tools/ folder. requires python(http://python.org) to run
- alternatively: http://digital-haze.net/files/vnds/fixsave.php
- Make sure the path is correct
- If you run it and you get stuck at a white screen, launch it with an alternative launcher, such as dsorganize or dschannels.
1.5.0 04/05/09 Jake:
- .novel support
- download novels directly onto ds
- redid FIFO stuff
- 'if var == 0' works with unset variables again
- cleartext command
- global vars were reset when loading a save file.
- changing the skin via config.ini didn't work.
- date wasn't saved properly in save files.
- missing resources no longer generate warning messages.
- fast reading by holding Y is now a lot faster.
- background fades more intelligent (fade to black on bg change)
- Graphical glitches in the GUI
- Backlight control could only turn the screen off on the original DS.
- PNG loading crashed on corrupt or wide (> 256 pixels) images.
- Sound didn't unmute when returning to the main menu.
- Tapping the screen advanced the script even in choice-mode.
- Variables weren't saved properly
- 3 small fixed bugs in loading saves made
- `` endscript actually do something (returns to titlescreen)
- fixed a bug in loading saves/skipping text.
- something happened to make True Remembrance work (diff doesnt
explain much). 1.3.3 25/05/08
- fixed problem with time not changing
- .sav keeps track of game state to make loading faster
- does nothing when attempting to load an empty save
- loads script in 4k blocks
- left/right moves to first/last option in select screen/choices
- bugfix: ArchiveFileHandle.Read() didn't work as expected (didn't
update the read pointer afterwards)
- bugfix: removed file io from interrupt handler
- bugfix: texture streaming bug in the save/load menu
- rewrote text cache to use freetype's built-in caching system
- added option to interrupt delay commands by pressing A, B or the
- skip scene functionality, hold R and press Y to skip ahead to the
- added support for AAC format (for sound effects only)
- fixed linebreaks in choices
- string variables
- variable placement in commands
- moved save format over to .xml (converter provided)
- less efficient, but more stable sleep mode
- collision detection more efficient
- new save theme
- support for png formats other than 8bit/channel truecolor
- support for uncompressed .zip format for storing
foreground/background/sound, except MP3 music
- rewrote sound/music code which caused ~80-90% of all crashes
- slightly improved text anti-aliasing
- rewrote line-wrapping algorithm, now supports UTF-8 character
- new save/load menu
- improved visuals for the in-game choice view
- script loader is better protected against buffer overflows
- bugfix: empty folders show up as valid novels in the main menu,
but crash the program upon selection
- performance: text rendering
- performance: savefile loading speed
- about screen (after constant prodding)
- `random` command (see documentation)
- slight change in save menu (how it resizes)
- fixed problem with backgrounds not loading and other weirdness
- fixed saves for real this time, maybe
- mp3 support
Programming: Jake Probst, anoNL