DS Visual Novel Reader
|Author||Jake Probst, anoNL|
|1.4.9 & 1.5.3 & Test files Download|
DS Visual Novel Reader is a Nintendo DS application used for playing gamebooks formatted with sound and pictures. It is designed to play visual novels created in .scr format.
- Extract archive onto the root of the SD card so the path is /vnds/.
- To install a visual novel, extract the tar.gz in /vnds/novels, so it has its own folder (ie. /vnds/novels/tsukihime).
- Sound files should end up in /vnds/novels/<game folder>/sound/.
- Take the .novel file and place it in the /vnds/novel/ folder.
Note from developer:
Any save prior to version 1.3.1 needs to be ran though the sav2xml.py utility in the /tools/ folder (requires Python to run).
- PNG error handling (ignore spurious warnings/crash on invalid png).
- "text ~" inserts blank lines again.
- Backported new functions up to 1.5.3 (excluding wifi + .novel fmt).
- Added support for unpacking .novel files to NovelManager.
- ASNI color code support in the text renderer.
- Increased sprite limit from 4 to 9.
- Waking up from sleep mode was glitchy.
- Fixed bug with undefined variables in conditionals.
- String variables need to be ""`d (setvar/if).
- Wifi doesn't hang forever if it can't connect.
- Fixed problems with music with too high a bitrate.
- .novel thumbnail.png select screen crash bug fixed.
- .novel support.
- Download novels directly onto ds.
- Redid FIFO stuff.
- 'if var == 0' works with unset variables again.
- Cleartext command.
- Global vars were reset when loading a save file.
- Changing the skin via config.ini didn't work.
- Date wasn't saved properly in save files.
- Missing resources no longer generate warning messages.
- Fast reading by holding Y is now a lot faster.
- Background fades more intelligent (fade to black on bg change).
- Graphical glitches in the GUI.
- Backlight control could only turn the screen off on the original DS.
- PNG loading crashed on corrupt or wide (> 256 pixels) images.
- Sound didn't unmute when returning to the main menu.
- Tapping the screen advanced the script even in choice-mode.
- Variables weren't saved properly.
- 3 small fixed bugs in loading saves made.
- Endscript actually do something (returns to titlescreen).
- Fixed a bug in loading saves/skipping text.
- Something happened to make True Remembrance work (diff doesnt explain much).
- Fixed problem with time not changing.
- .sav keeps track of game state to make loading faster.
- Does nothing when attempting to load an empty save.
- Loads script in 4k blocks.
- Left/right moves to first/last option in select screen/choices.
- Bugfix: ArchiveFileHandle.Read() didn't work as expected (didn't update the read pointer afterwards).
- Bugfix: removed file io from interrupt handler.
- Bugfix: texture streaming bug in the save/load menu.
- Rewrote text cache to use freetype's built-in caching system.
- Added option to interrupt delay commands by pressing A, B or the touchscreen.
- Skip scene functionality, hold R and press Y to skip ahead to the next scene/choice.
- Added support for AAC format (for sound effects only).
- Fixed linebreaks in choices.
- String variables.
- Variable placement in commands.
- Moved save format over to .xml (converter provided).
- Less efficient, but more stable sleep mode.
- Collision detection more efficient.
- New save theme.
- Support for png formats other than 8bit/channel truecolor.
- Support for uncompressed .zip format for storing foreground/background/sound, except MP3 music.
- Rewrote sound/music code which caused ~80-90% of all crashes.
- Slightly improved text anti-aliasing.
- Rewrote line-wrapping algorithm, now supports UTF-8 character encodings.
- New save/load menu.
- Improved visuals for the in-game choice view.
- Script loader is better protected against buffer overflows.
- Bugfix: empty folders show up as valid novels in the main menu, but crash the program upon selection.
- Performance: text rendering.
- Performance: savefile loading speed.
- About screen (after constant prodding).
- `random` command (see documentation).
- Slight change in save menu (how it resizes).
- Fixed problem with backgrounds not loading and other weirdness.
- Fixed saves for real this time, maybe.
- MP3 support.
Programming: Jake Probst, anoNL.